Wednesday 29 January 2014

Recipe: Slow Cooker Tomato Soup


I've been requested to post my recipe for slow cooker tomato soup. It's ridiculously easy!

There's two parts to the soup, the base and the options.

Part 1: The Base

My tomato soup starts off the same way every time.

Ingredients:
1 796ml Can of Crushed Tomatoes (No Added Salt)
1 796ml Can of Diced Tomatoes (No Added Salt)
Mrs. Dash (I add garlic & herb, southwest and extra spicy. Add as much as you want.)
1 tbsp of cumin
Salt & Pepper to taste.
1 Cup of Skim Milk (for a creamy texture)

I cook it 8 hours in a crock pot on low.

Part 2: The Options

This is where it gets fun. It really depends on you and what you have.

For the Whole 8 hours

  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
  • Pork Loin
Add in the last half hour - hour
  • Frozen Corn
  • Black beans/kidney beans
  • Frozen Edamame
  • Sweet Peppers
  • JalapeƱo Peppers or hotter
Add in the last 15 minutes
  • Spinach
  • Any herbs (I love cilantro but you can add parsley, basil, etc)
  • Green onions
Add the extras
  • shredded cheeses
  • sour cream
If you can't be there during the last hour, prepare/cook your frozen ingredients before hand and add whenever you get home. It's delicious and my favourite soup. It changes every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment